Diva Nutritional Products co-sponsored a Breast Fest (Breastfeeding Festival) on Wednesday, 8 August 2012 from 08:30-13:00 at the Good Hope Centre in Cape Town hosted by The City of Cape Town and Western Cape Government Health Department.
The festival featured an attempt to get 4 000 mothers breastfeeding at the same time in order to break the current Guinness World record of 3 541 mothers who did so in the Philippines on 4 May 2006. Unfortunately, due to weather and transportation constraints, this attempt was not achieved however a South African record of 1600 mothers breastfeeding in one seating was achieved.
The aim was to improve women’s health and decrease South Africa’s child mortality rate by encouraging new mothers to breastfeed.
The benefits of breastfeeding include:
- Protecting baby from a long list of illnesses
- Protecting baby from developing allergies
- May boost your child’s intelligence
- May protect your child from obesity
- May lower baby’s risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome(SIDS)
- May reduce mothers’ risk of some types of cancer
- Can reduce mothers’ stress levels and risk of Postpartum\Postnatal depression
Breast milk contains the right balance of nutrients to help an infant grow into a strong and healthy toddler. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for up to six months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age and beyond. Breastfeeding offers many benefits to the baby and should be initiated within the first hour after birth.
Invalid Displayed Gallery